In an effort to cut back on my expensive chocolate bar habit — cause when you buy chocolate you gotta get the good stuff, even if it’s like $5 a bar — and still reap the benefits of cocoa and good fats, I whipped up this delicious treat the other day on a whim. The best part is you don’t even need a food processor to get a smooth, mousse-like consistency — just a big bowl and a fork!
Chocolate avocado mousse (sugar-free, vegan)
Yields one serving
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 heaping tbsp cocoa powder (I like Camino cocoa powder, but raw cacao powder also tastes good)
- 1-2 tsp sweetener (raw sugar or stevia if you prefer sugar-free — I used stevia in this recipe)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used coconut almond milk)
- Scoop out half an avocado and mash up with a fork until smooth in a bowl. You could use a food processor if you wish, but this method = more chocolately avocado goodness in your mouth vs. stuck to the sides of a food processor.
- Add in remaining ingredients and whip/beat with a fork until mixture becomes a smooth, mousse-like consistency. You may want to add some of the sweetener and milk, stir, taste, then add more if necessary.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before eating. I like to whip this up as I’m making dinner, place it in the fridge and have it for dessert 🙂
Nutritional Info: 137 calories, 9 g fat, 13 g carbs, 9 g fibre, 3 g protein