I’ve tried several homemade veggie burger recipes over the years, and most patties have either required too much effort to make, ended up tasting like cardboard or just fall apart in the bun.
Aside from some day-in-advance prep, these black bean and yam veggie burgers not only stick together, but also are super easy to make. I made a variation using this wonderful recipe from Treble in the Kitchen. I doubled the ingredients as I wanted to make a bigger batch to freeze, added more yams and also added in zucchini and carrots to up the vegetable quota.
Vegan black bean and sweet potato veggie burgers
Yields 12 patties
- 4 cups of organic home-prepared black beans (soak overnight, drain and add back into pot. Cover with an inch of water and simmer for 2-3 hours or until tender). If ain’t nobody got time for that, you can also use 2 15oz can black beans rinsed, and dried.
- 4 medium-sized baked yams, smashed (wash and dry yams and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 50 minutes, flipping them half way through).
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (or whichever flour you prefer)
- 2.5 Tbsp flax seeds, ground
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup grated zuchini
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- After your black beans are cooked and dried with a paper towel, place them in a large bowl and mash them up with a potato masher or fork until most are smashed up.
- Add in the mashed yams and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the ground flax seed and the 6 tablespoons of water. Once combined, add it to the yams and black bean mixture and mix in.
- Add in the grated zucchini and carrots.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the black bean mixture and mix until completely combined.
- Form the mixture into patties with your hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If the consistency is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Place in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, flipping the patties halfway through.
These held together great, and heated up wonderfully for lunch the next day. Much tastier and healthier than store bought!
Do you have a go-to veggie burger recipe? Do you have a favourite store-bought version?