Looking to mix up your strength training routine? Try this fusion of isometric yoga asanas, dynamic yoga asanas and resistance training. This is actually one of two workouts I’m doing right now and it’s super fun 🙂
- 3 x barbell squat/deadlift/row – Grab a barbell and load it with a weight you can manage to row in a bent-over position for 6 reps. Hold the bar in front of you and squat down, push back up and lower bar into a deadlift position, making sure to push your butt back behind you. Once in the lowest position, row the bar to your chest then slowly lower. Push your hips forward up and extend back up into standing position. Rest between sets for this one.
- 3 x down dog kickbacks – Get into high plank position and press back into down dog. From here, lift one leg back behind you, keeping your hips parallel to the floor. Bring that same leg in and your knee into your chest. Repeat.
- 3 x push-up side planks – Get into a push-up position and lower down until your chest is close to the floor. Push up and roll onto the side of your foot, stack your legs and lift one arm straight up overhead into side plank position. Return to push-up position and alternate sides.
- 3 x crow/jump back into cobra – Get into crow position and try to hold the pose for 5-10 seconds. Contract your core and shoot your legs back out behind you, while lowering your body to the floor. Curl your toes over, extend your back and press up through your palms into cobra.
- 3 x lateral raise – Grab a set of dumbbells and stand shoulder-width apart, weights slightly out in front of you. Raise them out to the sides until your arms are parallel with the floor; slowly lower.
- 3 x glute bridge – Lie on your back with your knees bent, heels of your feet on the floor. Squeeze your butt and rise up into bridge, hold for 5 seconds, then slowly lower before your repeat.
Have you tried mixing yoga into your strength training workouts? What are your favourite yoga poses?