Raise your hand if you like easy-to-make, healthy and delicious one-pot meals!
This recipe is a staple in my Sunday meal prep rotation. Black beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein, especially when combined with fibrous and hearty quinoa. Make a large batch to take for workday lunches or freeze some in Tupperware containers for later.
Black bean and quinoa fiesta bowl (vegan, gluten-free)
Yields 5-6 servings
- 1.5 cups quinoa
- 2 cans of black beans (no salt added), drained
- 1 cup of salsa
- 2 tsp. Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 medium-sized avocados, sliced
- ½ cup cilantro
- Add the quinoa and 3 cups of water to a large pot and cook on high on a stovetop until it starts to boil. Turn the temperature down to a simmer and cook on low for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Before the quinoa is cooked completely, add the black beans, salsa, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper to the pot. Mix well and cover. Turn the temperature up to medium and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes.Once the quinoa is cooked and the mixture is warm, remove from heat.
- Portion the black bean and quinoa mixture out onto five plates or into five containers and top each with ¼ of an avocado and 1 Tbsp. or so of cilantro.
Nutritional info per serving: 400 calories, 62 g carbs, 17 g protein, 10 g fat, 14 g fibre, 2 g sugar
What’s your favourite one-pot meal? What else would you add to this bowl?