Today I’m featuring part II of the strength training workout I’m doing as part of training for the Finlayson Arm 25K trail race. Last Wednesday I shared the workout I’ve been doing on Mondays, which focuses on upper body and core as it comes after my long run day. Today I’m going to share my Wednesday workout, which incorporates upper and lower body supersets, as well as core work. Wednesdays are my heavier days, so I use 50 lbs weights and perform only 6-8 reps. However, you can use something lighter (10-20 lb dumbbells) and still benefit from the strength training exercises — just perform 10-12 reps for 3 sets instead.
Happy #WildWorkoutWednesday! Looking for a short strength training workout that targets all your major muscle groups AND gets the heart rate up? Try this five-set circuit. All you need is a yoga mat and a set of dumbbells.
1) Romanian deadlift into dumbbell bent-over row
2) Squat to overhead dumbbell press
3) Anterior lateral lunge with low-reach dumbbells
4) Push up / bent-over lateral raise (perform as superset)
5) Bird dog / reverse crunch (perform as superset)
Have a pair of dumbbells and 20 minutes to spare? Work your whole body with this circuit from IDEA Fit. Though some of the moves are slightly more advanced, there are modifications in each video for beginners.
What you need:
- Set of 5-10 lbs dumbbells, and an optional heavier set (15-30 lbs) for the squat and lunge movements
- yoga mat
Warm up for 5-10 minutes with arm circles (10 rotations backwards and forwards), leg swings (8 reps front to back, as well as laterally), lateral lunges with a light weight (8 on each side), 10 spider lunges and 5 sun salutations. (more…)